Tuff E Nuff Quarter Horses

Tuff E Nuff Quarter Horses
Lucy

Monday, October 6, 2008

I’m sore!

No, I didn’t get bucked off again. I helped build fence all weekend so my arms are killing me from driving post.

Just a quick update since nothing much has happened since my last post. Max went over to spend some time at MIL’s. We re-did her fence this weekend since the original post that were put in were dry rotting and weren’t put in correctly so they didn’t keep the fence tight. We also split her pasture in half. She has a nice, huge pasture and Sis doesn’t need it all. She’s going to try to bale the other half next year & if that doesn’t work she will have two nice sized pastures she can rotate the horses on.

You all should be proud of me. Max’s hock is swollen again (not bad but it’s still swollen) so I told DH I’d call the vet today to find out if he wanted us to do anything about it. Then I realized “DUH” this is the shit that gets me into trouble and told DH if he was worried about his horse he could call the vet. I know, it’s not much but it’s a step.

I’m going to take a shot at building a restricted choice hay feeder. I think the concept is pretty neat & with hay prices as high as they are I think it’s worth a shot.

http://www.swedishhoofschool.com/hayfeeders.htm

The inventor of this one lives about 15 minutes from me

www.slowdownhayfeeder.com

I’m putting Lucy and Cat back on the Progressive feed. While Lu did gain weight on the other stuff I do think that part of her new skin problems (major bug bites) are from the feed. Cat is the only other horse with the bites (although not as sever) and she was the only other horse on the feed.

I am however putting all of the horses on Daily 72 to see if that makes a difference. Sis was here this year and her mane and tail got very dry and brittle and her coat looked coarse. Nothing else in her diet changed except for out pasture which I believe is lacking in minerals.

DH leaves Wednesday morning so the boys and I are on our own. I’m kind of looking forward to the peace and quiet.

1 comment:

John Harrer said...

Building fences is excellent cross-training for..., huh, come to think of it - nothing!

Good for you. Like anything it takes practice.

Very interesting feeders...