Tuff E Nuff Quarter Horses

Tuff E Nuff Quarter Horses
Lucy

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Ride 5

I’m going to try to start summing up my blog post a bit more vs. the long drawn out stories.

MIL, DH, Chase, Ty, two friends and I went to the arena last night. It was VERY windy but it was beautiful! Unloaded and Cat was not happy! It was the first time she’d seen Sis and Abby and she wanted to be next to them.

Lounged Abby to get her ready for Chase and then got him, MIL and DH riding while I watched Ty and saddled Cat. Had to remind her a few times I was next to her as she was very worried that her buddies were going to leave her. Ty was playing w/his tractor in the dirt so I decided to make Cat move her feet and quit worrying about Sis and Abby.

Backed her into the arena and then did LFR2 (haven’t done this much). She did very well and turns over her hocks well). Headed back to the trailer, bridled her up and got on. Flexed. She’s still a little stiff to the right but overall did very well.

Walked into the arena and I’m not sure what happened but she jumped sideways and up as if she was trying to get away from Abby (I don’t think she realizes she can’t play under saddle and that is what it felt like). I immediately pulled her head around and proceeded to let her know that behavior was not acceptable!

She was in high gear so I worked on ORS at the walk. Once she was listening we picked it up to a trot. I was able to do some ORS at the canter but I had to be moving towards the other horses (left spanker in the trailer). She did well for the most part.

Next was the passenger lesson at the trot. I really need to do this w/less horses in the arena (6 horses all going different speeds). She did well but she wasn’t moving out as much as I’d like (she’d already downshifted herself into a nice jog).

After that I moved her to the center of the ring and just sat and flexed her and then let her relax for about 5 minutes before dismounting. She’d worked up a little sweat but nothing too bad.

As for the other horses – Black looked really good! MIL hopped on her for a minute and said her trot was so soft and smooth! Abby was having issues but then I don’t think Chase was helping matters much there. I’m to the point w/him that I think I’m going to hand him the reins and say “figure it out” (just like w/DH). He doesn’t seem to listen to what I say and it just frustrates me so I guess he can learn the same way I did – trial, error and hitting the dirt!

1 comment:

John Harrer said...

Wow! Three days in a row. Good job!