Tuff E Nuff Quarter Horses

Tuff E Nuff Quarter Horses
Lucy

Monday, July 19, 2010

Weekend ride

Saturday it was so hot! I hosed off the horses and put them in their stalls with the fans on. I decided to leave Cat’s bandage off to see if some fresh air would help her laceration heal a bit faster. I put some wonder dust on it to prevent it from bleeding and then put her in her stall. She proceeded to lick every ounce of wonder dust off (that had to taste good) until her leg was clean and started bleeding again. Needless to say the bandage went back on.

Sunday Chase, MIL and I went for a ride. I decided to pull the old lady (Black) out since I knew we wouldn’t be going far. We ended up riding down to the river and over the river bridge. Abby was very good for Chase and Sis was her usual lazy self. We trotted some and even loped a little on the way back. Black felt pretty good and was striding out. I had to chuckle on the way home as it was Black (25), then Abby (9), and then Sis (10) bringing up the rear!

Later that night Ty decided he wanted to ride so I pulled Nikki out for him. She’s a good pony but she’s learned a few tricks over the years (like diving for grass and snatching the reins away from her rider or shaking and unseating them) so I made up a set of grass reins before Ty ventured out. He likes to ride “by himself” so as soon as we made our way to the backyard I turned him loose. Nikki of course set her path straight back to the barn. When she learned the gait was closed she came back to the backyard (yes I was watching close by) and then proceeded to walk circles. He rode for probably 20 minutes before I made him get off. Little stinker thinks he’s big stuff now!

2 comments:

John Harrer said...

It's "wonder" dust. Maybe it''l heal from the inside.

How was MIL's drill team ride? She was on Abby, right?

Tuff e Nuff said...

Are you questioning my spelling, have you not heard of it or are you making a joke & I'm just too dull to get it today?

The drill performance - well I didn't go to either performance so I can only speak what I was told. Thurs. night Abby anticipated the entrance and was rearing. Then she wouldn't stand still to get pictures. She fought the bit (MIL put the wrong one in and then two handed her vs. neck reining) through the entire performance.

Fri. she was better but the performance as a whole was worse. The arena was thick, the whistle was missed a few times (meaning more circles in the bad arena) so the horses lost stamina quickly.