Tuff E Nuff Quarter Horses

Tuff E Nuff Quarter Horses
Lucy

Monday, January 17, 2011

What is my problem!

I don’t know if I’m having bouts of anxiety or AOF (adult onset fear). As you guys know, the ACTHA ride is coming up this weekend. I have to decide by Wednesday if I’m riding or not.

The weather is supposed to be between 18* - 26* (big difference I know). I’m not sure if there is going to be any wind or not but it isn’t going to be horribly warm either way.

The ride will last approx. 2 hours and will be six miles long.

There are 12 riders signed up so far.

So what’s the problem? I don’t know! Lucy has always been very dependable. Even when she’s scared she doesn’t scare me. So why now? Why all of the sudden am I worried she’ll spook?

Saturday I got her out to see how she would handle dragging an object (a sled). I jumped on bb w/a halter like normal and she was goosey! She didn’t like the wooden squirrel that was in the front yard (it has been there for ages) and she hated the sled!

DH started off pulling Chase on it behind the 4 wheeler w/us following. I thought I was coming off a few times but quickly regained control. When they went inside to warm up I jumped off and desensitized her to it a bit from the ground & then hopped on. She was good as gold. I even had Chase come out and get in it so I could pull him (from both sides). I’m not sure if she could have been any calmer.

I have to say, I’m almost more nervous about doing this ride then I was going to the CA clinic. I’m nervous she’ll spook at the obstacles, I’m nervous she’ll spook at deer (even though she never has before and these deer are so used to horses that they don’t move), I’m nervous about stuff I don’t even know I’m nervous about.

Any thoughts?

2 comments:

John Harrer said...

It doesn't sound like fear if you jumped on bareback. Really?!

It's cold. You stated you don't like the cold. There are more rides coming in the spring. Why be miserable?

I say pass. Go for a ride at home that weekend. Come back, sit by the fire drinking hot chocolate and eating cookies with the kids.

Tuff e Nuff said...

I know John, that's why it feels so silly. I'm not scared - yet I am?

It isn't about the cold. If it was 60* Sat. I'd feel the same way.

Maybe it is the fear of public humiliation if she does spook or doesn't do the obstacles well? Why don't I have faith in her? She's never given me a reason not to trust her.

I need to push myself past this stuff so we can grow - I just don't know how.