Tuff E Nuff Quarter Horses

Tuff E Nuff Quarter Horses
Lucy

Friday, July 22, 2011

Update on Cat –

The vet called last night and said Cat came out of surgery and was doing well. He said the tendon sheath was not involved. He said they were all very surprised. Of course I'm confused as to what the vet here saw when she tapped it but what's new? Instead she has a fetlock joint injury. He said the joint looked good minus the irritation. Our prognosis is the same had it been a tendon sheath issue.

He said they will do another regional limb perfusion today & the next 72 hrs. are critical. He said splint bone was ok, they were able to check it internally while she was down so they didn’t need to take x-rays. He said a bunch of other stuff too but between his accent (a Canadian that just moved here from Texas), the cell phone reception and everything else I didn't catch all of it. I’m going to try to go up and visit on Saturday but told him he didn’t need to call as long as all was going well.

I’ve had quite a few people ask me if I know how this happened. While I can’t be 100% sure I do have my own theory.

Wed. since it was so hot DH went out to top off water tanks mid day. He let Bell in the front pasture w/the others (she'd been in w/Sis but MIL took Sis home Tues. night) and then opened up the dry lot gate so they could get into the 3 sided and out of the sun.

Our 3 sided has 2 gates - one small 3 ft walkthrough gate and one bigger 12 ft? one to get the tractor in (see picture below). The only time *I* open the big gate is if I'm in there w/the bobcat or if I've opened it up to the "herd" so no one gets trapped.

Photobucket

DH didn't open the large gate and I think Bell got Cat trapped in there and then went to town on her (hence why Bell was in the back pasture and not with Cat in the first place). I noticed last night my hay feeder was partially pulled out of the wall and one bar was dented with little white hairs on it (would explain the scrapes on her side/back). I'm guessing she either got her leg on the concrete wall or Bell got it with her hoof.

But of course this is only a theory. DH is bound and determined to find a place in the pasture where there is a pile of blood to prove Bell didn't do it. I’m not blaming him but I think he feels bad. I noticed last night both of Bell's back legs were swollen (the left worse then the right) and she had a few minor scrapes on her legs. I've seen her try to kick Cat in the pasture and she double barrel kicks. I wonder if she missed and got the wall, serves her right. I was nice and gave her some bute since DH was at work but that's about as much as I'm gonna do.

3 comments:

John Harrer said...

Why can't they just get along?

Hope Cat is home soon.

aj said...

sorry to hear about Cat,hope everything heals quickly

Dragonlver said...

Hope Cat comes out ok. And your vet bill isn't super scary.